Brady Hensley, born on December 29, 1996, in Sioux Falls to David and Jodi Hensley, was a remarkable individual who touched the lives of many. From a young age, Brady displayed a passion for a wide range of interests. His love for sports, particularly Minnesota sports teams, was evident. He could often be found with a football, basketball, or baseball and glove, always eager to play catch or engage in a game. Brady was an avid supporter of the Twins, finding pure joy in watching games while proudly wearing his cherished jerseys, Twins caps, and socks. His collection of baseball caps was a testament to his enthusiasm.
Beyond his sports enthusiasm, Brady possessed a wonderful sense of humor that endeared him to countless people. He had a heart full of kindness and love, and he never missed an opportunity to offer a warm hug. He held a special place in his mother’s heart, and their bond was truly unique.
Brady also had a passion for literature, with a particular fondness for Stephen King’s books. Even during his elementary school years, he tackled hefty tomes, demonstrating his determination to read, even if comprehension presented challenges.
Despite his talents and warm personality, Brady faced challenges in school, battling ADHD and anxiety. He was prescribed medication at a young age, although it came with side effects that led him to eventually discontinue its use.
In high school, Brady turned to self-medication with Robitussin cough syrup, a path that his family was initially unaware of the seriousness of. He sought help through various treatment centers and showed promise during structured programs. However, upon release, he would often return to using Robitussin.
Brady’s battle with addiction took a toll on his ability to maintain employment. Over time, he incorporated alcohol alongside cough syrup, and his addiction escalated to include Mucinex in addition to Robitussin.
His addiction led to multiple hospitalizations, including a cardiac arrest a few years before his passing, along with other serious health issues. He sought treatment in facilities across South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, but tragically, he was unable to conquer his addiction. On June 29, 2023, at the age of 26 and a half, Brady’s life was cut short by accidental Guaifenesin and Dextromethorphan Toxicity, specifically, an overdose of Mucinex and Robitussin. This type of addiction is not often discussed, but it is a very real and serious issue.
Every day, Brady is deeply missed. His infectious smile and laughter live on in the hearts of those who loved him.